Monday, February 6, 2012

It's Time for Something New

Two words - cabin fever.  Yup.  It has officially set in.  

My son keeps looking out onto the deck and asking to go play outside.  I can't blame him.  I keep finding myself gazing out the kitchen window at the blue skies and warm sun.  Then I look at the outdoor temperature, in my mind hoping that it will miraculously say it's in the 60s.  Yeah... that hasn't happened yet.  

When it's warm outside, it's all I can do to keep my boy in the house until 9:30 am (sometimes I let him out earlier...).  He's clearly an outdoors kid.  Now here we are in February, there's no snow on the ground (which is no different from the rest of the winter), appears to be beautiful outside, and it's still in the 30s (if that).  Oh, and might I add, Punxsutaney Phil saw his shadow.  I don't put any stock in Groundhog Day, but still... it's a downer.  

Yes, I'm complaining.  And for those of you fellow New Englanders who may argue that we've had a few seasonably warm days lately, you're right.  Unfortunately those few hours that the temperature dares to climb into the 40s (or higher) happen to be lunch and nap time here in toddlerland.  Yet another downer. 

What can be done about cabin fever?  

"Sing to the Lord a new song;
sing to the Lord all the earth."
Psalm 96:1

This is a psalm that I have heard referenced several times over the last month, and it's what came to mind this morning during another late-morning toddler tantrum.  I find myself blaming the weather for my son's outbursts.  If only I could send him outside... he'd be a different person, much easier for me to handle!  The weather is only partly to blame.  Sin nature is the other part - both mine and my son's.  

So guess what?  It's time to start singing a new song.  It's time to change things up again.  Where do I look for inspiration?  None other than Pinterest.  Oh yes, my friends.  If you haven't joined, just do it.  Here are some ideas I've come across that I'm hoping will help change the tune at our house.  


"I love you this much!"  So fun!  





Change things up with a "new" game.  Seriously... would this take any more than 10 minutes? 



Once again... cute and easy!  Could be artwork to send to grandparents, too!



Definitely more time consuming initially, but I'm pretty sure my husband would have as much fun with this as my son!

Just a few ideas that we may be trying soon!  Whether you have a toddler or not, how are you going to "sing to the Lord a new song"?  Open the door long enough to let the grouchies out (and still keep the heat in) and rejoice in the Lord with each new day.  


~ Carrie ~


No comments:

Post a Comment