Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Adventures in Laundry

In the last few years I've had several friends venture down the road of making their own laundry detergent - to which I scoffed... I admit it.  Recently I've begun to contemplate it as a real possibility and finally bit the bullet and went for it.  I did a little bit of research online and found that most recipes were pretty much the same.  Ultimately I decided on a recipe (recipe #1 at this site) that was a liquid, since I've heard that liquid detergents are supposed to be better for washing machines and because I have an energy efficient machine that require the detergent to be added after the clothes go in.


The ingredients for the laundry soap can be hard to find for some people, but I found all of the ingredients I needed at Market Basket.  


Ivory soap can be used instead of the Fels Naptha Soap.  I couldn't find the Fels Naptha Soap at the time that I was buying everything, but stumbled upon it on a recent grocery trip.  So, yes... all ingredients can be found at Market Basket (love that store).
The end product yielded 2 gallons of laundry detergent and I gotta say, I like it.  The clean laundry doesn't have as strong a scent to it, but that doesn't bother me at all because it is definitely still clean and clean-smelling.  Oh, and did I mention that it's a ton cheaper, too!  The bottom line is, everything is coming out clean, and I am very impressed.  I will definitely continue using this detergent!  




~ Carrie ~

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carrie! This laundry soap is such a great inexpensive way to do laundry HOWEVER a heads up if you haven't noticed already. Using this recipe on your under garments can make you irritable/itchy in the female areas- ya know what I mean! Just letting you know as it happened to me and was miserable. I had to go to the doctors to be sure I was okay and I was so we thought of everything that it could be and they asked if I'd changed my detergent...duh! Anyway, great and cheap alternative for the rest of our laundry though. K...ttyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian. I know several people who use homemade detergent, but had never heard of that problem. I've been using it for several months now and none of us has had any problems... thankfully! Thanks for the heads up though!

      Delete