Monday, May 2, 2011

What I Need

The rate at which a two-year old adds to his/her vocabulary and learns new grammatical structure is unbelievable – and difficult to keep track of.  On more than one occasion (even before his second birthday) my husband and I have looked at each other after Jadon has said something with that look that says, “When did he start saying that?” 

Jadon has two new sentences that he has learned and repeated over and over again for the last 2 weeks.  I was not excited about either of these sentences.  The first of the two began on a recent trip home.  The response, “You’ve got to be kidding me - already?” quickly spewed out of my mouth when I heard my son ask, “Are we there yet, Mumma?”  Definitely a less than thrilling extension of his speaking capabilities.  

The second new sentence that Jadon began saying this week is one that (similarly to the first) I have no idea from whom/what he picked it up.  Upon getting ready to go out the door recently to run a few errands, my son scrambled into the living room one last time to grab a toy (not completely unusual).  After a “let’s go Jadon,” he scurried to the front door (where I was waiting for him), looked up at me and said, “I need this.”  I dare say this sentence has been more frustrating to hear than the first!  I have lost all hope of being able to go to any store (other than maybe a shoe store) without hearing “I need this” over and over again – or at least any store that sells balls or trucks.  

Recently gathering up his dinosaurs before heading out the door somewhere.  Apparently he needed them... :)

With the arrival of this second statement, I’ve felt it necessary to become more intentional about teaching the concepts of selflessness, generosity, and distinguishing between wants and needs (a concept of which I myself am often found guilty).  Tough stuff to teach a 2-year old, but one that I find myself needing to be reminded of over and over again. 

I enjoy giving of myself in the ways of hospitality, time, and music.  Those are three   easy areas for me.  But how can I glorify greater in my giving?  I should lend more of a listening ear, give encouragement to others, and share what God is doing in my life on a regular basis. 

If I want my son to learn and practice selflessness and generosity, the lesson has to begin with how I am living my life in reflection of what God has done and is doing.  It’s not just about doing something nice and being a good person.  It’s bigger than that. 

Paul says it well in 1 Corinthians 9:12-14

This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.  Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.  And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.  Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

A life lived in thanks to God for all he has done and allowing others to clearly see the gospel at work daily in my life is what I want to give God.  How I long for the day when I hear my son say,

“I need that.  I need Christ.”

~ Carrie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment