Monday, August 29, 2011

Do the Next Thing

A poem quoted by Elisabeth Elliott:

“From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message for me,
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraaven,
Hath, as it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours the quiet words ring,
Like a low inspiration: DO THE NEXT THING.

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here. 
Moment my moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, DO THE NEXT THING.

Do it immediately; do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His Hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ’neath His wing,
Leave all resultings, DO THE NEXT THING.                                                               

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering) be thy demeanor.
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm.
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing!
Then, as He beckons thee, DO THE NEXT THING."
                                                         --author unknown

It seems like every few months or so, I just have an off day in which I struggle to do what needs to be done.  It could be for a million reasons or no identifiable reason at all.  I don't think I'm alone here, either.  Anxiety, loneliness, fear, guilt, and uncertainty can all lead to days in which not only is it difficult to do the next thing but anything at all.  

I was reminded of this article yesterday, as I was kind of having one of these days, so overwhelmed by everything that I felt as if I could do nothing.  Nicole Whitacre over at the GirlTalk blog talks about this very thing.  

"Sometimes I struggle with feeling guilty that I don't feel like doing the next thing. Even though I have repented from fear and anxiety (and will keep repenting and talking to myself) the feelings of fear still linger. But aren't we supposed to do our work with joy and gladness as unto the Lord? How can I glorify God in my work if I still feel anxious? I wonder. So just as I pull one foot out of the ditch of fear, the other one falls into the pothole of condemnation.

But there is a firm and level path for us in God's Word, which John Piper points out in this meditation on Psalm 126:5-6 called "Talking to Your Tears." He's counseling people who are sad and suffering, but I think it also applies to those of us who feel anxious:

'So here’s the lesson: When there are simple, straightforward jobs to be done, and you are full of sadness, and tears are flowing easily, go ahead and do the jobs with tears. Be realistic. Say to your tears: ‘Tears, I feel you. You make me want to quit life. But there is a field to be sown (dishes to be washed, car to be fixed, sermon to be written). I know you will wet my face several times today, but I have work to do and you will just have to go with me. I intend to take the bag of seeds and sow. If you come along then you will just have to wet the rows.'

Even if we sow in tears (or fears) we will one day reap with joy. Read the entire meditation and then do the next thing--whether you feel like it or not."

~ Carrie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment