Monday, June 13, 2011

Perfect Timing

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in 
the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  
 Ecclesiastes 3:11


Before my husband and I were even dating (we were still in the “just friends” phase) I was very impressed by his timing.  Although we initially met at a Christian camp, since we lived several hundred miles away from each other much of our early friendship began through email correspondence and online chatting.  It amazed me how he always had a timely response to my emails or appeared online just when I wanted to chat with him.  (I later found out that this was all because he was quite taken with me from the very beginning of our friendship.  He was attempting to keep our lines of communication open as often as possible.) 

Even after we began dating (yes, his plan worked quite well) I continued to find his timing to be impressive.  He would suddenly appear at my dorm with a rose to celebrate another month together.  I would find cute notes he left in my car while I was working.  He’d whisk me away for a surprise date to a carefully selected location.  Or even just a phone call at the perfect time. 

Okay, so he doesn’t have perfect timing, but he does pretty well – even after many years of being together.  Our anniversary was yet another opportunity for him to display his timing abilities – to which I am incredibly grateful. 

Thinking about this concept of “perfect timing” ultimately carried my thoughts to God and His perfect timing.  It also led me to ask the following questions: What does it mean that God’s timing is perfect?  Does perfect timing always result in good things?

After studying God’s Word and spending time in prayer I don’t think that I have the answers to these questions.  God’s timing will always be something that I have a hard time wrapping my mind around.  The past few weeks have brought some interesting challenges my way.  Although I’ve continued to see God’s faithfulness in my life and my family, God has allowed me and some who are close to me to face some unexpected events (not good things).  Despite these situations that I would not have chosen for myself or others, God has allowed me to see how in the past 2 years (probably even longer) he’s been preparing me for these challenges.  This doesn’t mean that weathering these storms will be easy for me or others involved, but it does mean that I have even more of a reason to rest in God’s faithfulness and perfect timing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment