Wednesday, April 27, 2011

21 Day Organizing Challenge - Week 1

It feels good to say that the first 7 days of the 21 Day Organizing Challenge (from the Bowl Full of Lemons blog) is complete.  To be honest, by Friday I was having second thoughts about doing this - particularly my timing in all of this (right before Easter... which I was hosting).  Now I can easily say that I'm glad I started it, and I'm now excited to share some of the results from my first week.  

Day 1 - Junk Drawer

BEFORE
AFTER









This drawer was actually recently tackled by my husband (a month or two ago).  He was a little put-out that I was re-cleaning it, but I told him that I hadn't gone through it yet.  I was able to get remove a bunch of my stuff that was in there (old baby things of Jadon's, a few small decorative things that I've not made a decision on where to put, and some other odds and ends).  This was a good place for me to start - and took all of 10 minutes to do!

Day 2 - Computer Desk

BEFORE
 I LOVE my desk.  It's a Craig's List find and probably over 100 years old.  The two things that I love most about this desk are 1) all the compartments and drawers (for staying organized) and 2) the slant front (I can close it and have everything out of sight... even my laptop!).  Unfortunately my desk had become cluttered with old lists, receipts, coupons, and just other junk!  I think the after came out pretty good!  I admit that I did not tackle the drawers underneath it because in all honesty, I completely forgot!  Maybe I'll get to that this week!  
AFTER
Day 3 - Tupperware Cabinet

My tupperware wasn't too bad.  I love the Rubbermaid containers I have.  Not sure exactly what they are called, but all the lids snap together for easy organization.  I would definitely recommend them, if I remembered what they were called... :)
AFTER
BEFORE








BEFORE (minus a couple items)
AFTER (with everything)

 Not a whole lot to see here, thankfully.  But there are some major trouble spots coming (especially next week), so stay with me!


Day 4 - Linen Closet

So, the story of my linen closet is that I was very excited to finally have a storage area solely devoted to sheets, towels, extra bedding, and toiletry items.  So, I started out organized (the bones are there), but have not kept up with it very well.  

AFTER
BEFORE
I like to stock up on extra toiletry and medical supplies when I see a good deal... unfortunately some of those things have a shelf life, so I threw out several things that I forgot I even had.  I packed away tons of baby shampoos, lotions, and body washes that were being stored in this closet.  I also found a couple pillowcases that I thought we had lost somewhere.  Woohoo!  Needless to say, I think the space is now being better used. 
BEFORE
AFTER




















Day 5 - Under Kitchen Sink

BEFORE - Very cluttered... no established place for anything
AFTER - Organized
Oh, under the sink.  Who really looks under there anyway?  My only real strategy here was to put the things that I use most often closest to the front.  The bin contains extras (like dish soap, dish scrubber, and dusters) and smaller items that often get lost under the sink.  


Day 6 - Dresser Drawers

I had to modify this day.  We keep our dressers pretty well organized and often sort through and give away clothing we no longer wear.  So, I was trying to figure out what to do instead and immediately thought of our closets - but that is day 19!  So, I decided to tackle the guest room closet.  This closet stores out-of-season jackets, irons, and ironing boards.  It also is a convenient area to throw stuff from Jadon's room that needs to be packed up and brought to the attic (clothes and toys he's outgrown).  There were some more things on the left, but I couldn't get that in the picture.

BEFORE
AFTER

 Day 7 - The Pantry


This was definitely my biggest challenge of the week.  This pantry has been a project since we moved in!  It's better now, but still not done.  My hubby has promised that in the very near future he will build me a shelf just below where the spices are located.  (Maybe tomorrow?)  For now, it is a lot better!
BEFORE
AFTER





















That's all until next week!  Here's what this week's list looks like:

·              Day 8 – Coat Closet
·              Day 9 – Toy Organization
·              Day 10 – Laundry Room
·              Day 11 – The Freezer
·              Day 12 – Spice Cabinet
·              Day 13 – Medicine Cabinet
·              Day 14 – Under Bathroom Sink

~ Carrie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment