Friday, March 18, 2011

Time to “Spring” Into Action!


I know it’s not technically spring yet, but the warmer weather we’ve been having in our area has been enough for me to start thinking about outdoor activities and warm weather plans.  Yesterday (the hubby’s day off) was a really fun day in which our family thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful day: a few short car rides, a walk along a local lake, lunch at a little downtown diner, and playing at our neighborhood park.  By the end of this long, fun day my mind couldn’t help but think about all the things I want to do this summer. 

I am one of those people who is great at planning, but struggles (sometimes) with following through.  Thinking about it is fun.  Actually preparing to do it is not fun.  I just want to be able to snap my fingers and be there.  Or, another struggle I’ll admit to is just forgetting or failing to be proactive.  What I mean is, I get doing my normal everyday stuff (laundry, dishes, cleaning stuff, organizing, shopping, cooking) and forget to make time for fun.  Is that normal? 

Last spring, while at a local MOPS group, the leader had a great idea.  She made sure everyone had a paper and pencil and asked us to make a list of things that we wanted to do with our families between now and when (I dare say) the cold weather returns.  I worked and worked and worked on my list only to come up with 3-4 things – for the entire summer!  And it was pretty much the same stuff that we normally do.  I was a little discouraged until the MOPS leader said that she now wanted us to share with everyone what was on our list.  By the time everyone had finished sharing, I had a list of at least a dozen LOCAL activities – not long trips, not even anything all that expensive, just local and fun!  I was so impressed. 

So, this brings me to this year.  I’m starting to think about what to do this spring and summer.  It’s so easy to think that there isn’t much to do in your area, but get creative and talk to other people.  You will surely discover some fun, cheap things to do with your family that will result in tons of quality time, laughter, and memories.  Over the next week or two, I will be working on my list and then I will share it (probably on another Friday).  So, stay tuned.  Maybe something on my list will inspire you!  You don't have to be a mom to take this challenge.  You don't even have to married or have children to take this challenge!  Take advantage of the nice weather (which can change with the blink of an eye in New England) and decide who you want to invest more of your time into.  Dishes and laundry can wait.  You’ll never regret spending quality time with your family and friends!

~ Carrie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment